How to Build A Playground
There are numerous factors to consider when conceptualizing the plan for a new playground. What is the purpose of the playground? Where is it located? How many children does it need to facilitate? Is it accessible to individuals with disabilities? These are just a few of the considerations that need to be made when planning a new playscape.
Building a playground can be a tool to bring members of your local community closer together. Multiple studies have been completed with the results concluding that community playgrounds not only increase home values in the neighborhood but also are highly-valued by small businesses when considering moving their business to a new location.
There are a few steps to take when designing your playground. You need to find a playground surface, which allows for safer play. Next, you need to choose playground equipment that is aesthetically pleasing and will encourage different types of play for the playground’s patrons. Last, you should have some idea of the overall cost of the playground in order to form a budget and choose equipment!
3 Steps to Plan the Perfect Playground
1. Pick a Playground Surface
- PIP – Poured in place flooring is the most expensive playground surfacing option; however, it is also the longest lasting and has the lowest maintenance cost. You can also customize it to whatever design you’re interested in.
- Rubber Mulch – Rubber mulch is the next most affordable option to poured in place flooring, but it is slightly more difficult to maintain. You can still choose specific colors, but the design options aren’t as customizable as poured in place flooring. Rubber mulch playground surfaces are a perfect mid-level surfacing product.
- Rubber Tile – Rubber Tile is another mid-level playground surfacing product. It is also easy to maintain because you just replace a square when it wears off. You are limited by the design options and customization.
- Engineered Wood Fiber – Engineered wood fiber is the cheapest playground surfacing option. They are the hardest to maintain. You need to regularly rake up the mulch and top it off with fresh mulch when the current layer gets compressed.
- Take a look at Robertson’s planning checklist to make sure you’ve taken all the necessary steps to develop and install your playground without any roadblocks!
2. Pick Playground Equipment
- Building a playground comes with the opportunity to pick out amazing playground equipment. There are infinite options for the style, purpose, and functionality of playground equipment available.
Carefully designed playground equipment can be children’s avenue to experiencing physical, emotional, mental, and social growth. Experts in childhood development have organized types of play into different categories, each with their own unique benefits. When choosing playground equipment, find pieces that promote each type of play!
● Playground Equipment for Fitness – Playgrounds offer a perfect environment for children to grow physically stronger. The act of running, climbing, and crawling through different types of playground equipment has proven to positively impact childhood physical fitness and development. including monkey bars, balancing beams, and climbing walls into your playground will go a long way into ensuring your children are physically fit.
● Themed Playground Equipment – Themed playgrounds are playgrounds designed to carry a specific look throughout the playground area. They designed to look like a castle or a pirate ship or like boulders and trees. Choosing themed playground equipment helps the children use their imagination to develop games● Inclusive Playground Equipment – The inclusive play is designing a playground for everyone, with disabilities or not. There are playground swings and slides that are specifically designed for kids with disabilities. Adding a few pieces of these equipment makes sure your playground is set up for all children to grow and prosper.
Playgrounds can get expensive, especially when you factor in the purchasing and grading of land. A great park generally costs anywhere between $20,000 and $50,000. Although it seems daunting, the better the quality and aesthetic value of the park, the longer it will last and the longer it will be able to be enjoyed! We’ve built out an exclusive list of playground grants that should help you find the financing necessary to develop your playground.
Want to check out an extensive list of the options available to you? Check out our funding resources page for more information!
Although we always encourage consulting a local professional to make sure all necessary steps have been taken, there are many ways to execute the installation of your playground! For public playgrounds and private organizations, such as churches, a community build may be in the best interest for many reasons!
Not only does community involvement help to reduce the costs of labor associated with constructing a new playground, but it also creates a sense of ownership amongst the involved parties. This frequently leads to continued involvement in the maintenance and upkeep of the property and equipment going forward which helps improve the longevity of the equipment for years to come!
Don’t worry if you don’t have the time or resources for a community build! TotTurf’s trusted team can help you install your new Playground and make it look amazing. Click here to request a quote!
There are many other steps that can be taken to make your park even more accommodating! For instance, adding bike racks is a perfect way to encourage physical activity and add a sense of security to the park!
Items like cigarette disposals, recycling bins, and outdoor exercise equipment are simple ways to brand promote eco-friendly practices, encourage health and exercise, and keep necessary playground maintenance to a minimum. For some children, it may be the first encounter they have with recycling and its benefits!
Now that your park is on the way to being built, it’s time to plan out a maintenance schedule. Keeping the grounds and equipment of your playground well-maintained is integral to making sure that your park remains a safe, clean, and desirable place for the community to gather. Click here to read about Robertson’s maintenance programs and how our professionals can help keep your playground in tip-top shape!