Engineered Wood Fiber (EWF)
Engineered wood fiber is a popular choice for projects with initial budget constraints. EWF does require ongoing raking and occasional topping off during its lifetime due to compaction and decomposition. This maintenance will help ensure the correct material depth for compliance with safety and accessibility standards. Once the newly installed EWF has settled, it forms a “knitted” layer that is designed to support a variety of mobility devices including wheelchairs, crutches, and walkers.
- Consider Wear Mats to avoid compliance issues after the wood is moved around and out of high use areas!
Additional Product Information
- Provides superior fall attenuation
- Lowest installation cost
- Attractive, natural look
- Use wear mats at slide exits and at slide exits and under swings to reduce displacement
- Containment systems like PlayCurbs reduce spreading of EWF to non-play areas
- Install Drainage Systems to prevent freezing and puddling
- Manufactured of size-controlled softwoods and/or hardwoods that average 1”-2” in length and contain a maximum of 15% fine particles to aid in knitting.
- Non-toxic and does not contain paint, chemicals, or additives.
- Contains minimal bark and is free of twigs, leaf debris, and other organic material. This product meets all applicable ASTM standards. For more information, please refer to our complete product 4 specification.