Engineered Wood Fiber (EWF)
Engineered wood fiber is a popular choice for projects with initial budget constraints. EWF does require ongoing raking and occasional topping off during its lifetime due to compaction and decomposition. This maintenance will help ensure the correct material depth of the wood fibers for compliance with safety and accessibility standards. Once the newly installed EWF has settled, it forms a “knitted” layer that is designed to support a variety of mobility devices including wheelchairs, crutches, and walkers.
Additional Product Information
- Provides superior fall attenuation
- Lowest installation cost
- Attractive, natural look
- Use wear mats at slide exits and at slide exits and under swings to reduce displacement
- Containment systems like PlayCurbs reduce spreading of EWF to non-play areas
- Install Drainage Systems to prevent freezing and puddling
- Manufactured of size-controlled softwoods and/or hardwoods that average 1”-2” in length and contain a maximum of 15% fine particles to aid in knitting.
- Non-toxic and does not contain paint, chemicals, or additives.
- Contains minimal bark and is free of twigs, leaf debris, and other organic material. This product meets all applicable ASTM standards. For more information, please refer to our complete product 4 specification.
Engineered wood fiber (EWF) is an economical playground surfacing, it's easy to install, and it meets all accessibility guidelines. It is able to absorb a high amount of impact and force, but it's also firm and slip resistant. Wheelchairs, crutches, and walkers can move efficiently across a playground surface made out of engineered wood fiber.
"Fast, friendly service and estimates by Frank, listens and understands your concerns and needs and suggests product accordingly. Install work has been done competently and with minimal down time. Product holds up well. Looks great!" - William
"Chris Carlin is always kind, courteous and responds quickly to anything I need. He's a real value to your team & mine. I would also like to say that Rob that works in the field and also worked on my project at Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah, WA was very easy to work with. Very nice guy and kept me in the loop during his installation sending me updated pictures and making sure my design was laid out perfectly." - Shawna
"Excellent, Responsive service" - Gil
"Randy patiently explained all the options I had when it came to installing Synthetic Turf. Gave me a number of recommendations and helped me understand what I needed." - Abe
"Working with Frank Horwath and the team was great. Attention to detail was there and the project was executed flawlessly." - Daniel